Our Family History

Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Print Bookmark

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 1618» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





Buffalo Crossroads Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

The Buffalo Presbyterian Church, organized in 1773, was the first church established in Buffalo Valley, only five years after the territory was opened to settlement. Scots-Irish Presbyterians first met in the countryside where the Old Buffalo Church would later be built. In 1784, Edward and Joseph Shippen gave 5 acres to the Presbyterian congregation on which to build a meetinghouse and cemetery, at what is now the intersection of Buffalo Road and Meeting House Lane. The first meetinghouse was a log structure, which was replaced by a stone church in 1816. This stone church stood at the northwest corner of the cemetery grounds. In 1846 the present Greek Revival brick structure was constructed, necessitated by the early deterioration of the stone church when its foundation became unsound.


File nameBuffalo Crossroads Presbyterian.jpg
File Size117.27k
Dimensions586 x 458
Linked toNathaniel STRAYHORN

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 1618» Next»     » Slide Show